Ironman Mont Tremblant

Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Most Annoying Workout

Today's workout was a 3 hours and 15 minute bike followed by a 20 minute run. I left the house around 5:30 am and it was freezing!!! I had to wear arm warmers as the temperature was only 12 degrees. WTF happened to summer and last week smoking hot temperatures?

Paul S had suggested riding north on Kennedy (I usually ride southbound back home) as it was surprisingly hilly although nothing like Muskoka. Once I crossed Aurora Road, I hit the twin peak hills and did the three hill repeats stopping at the bottom of the hills each time. I continued north and rode uneventfully until I hit Keswick which was the 50 km point so I turned around and headed back south down Warden. At Vivian Road I turned east and then south down Kennedy so I could hit the twin peaks again. By this time my back was killing me and I was getting tired but I did three hill repeats before heading south. I reached Elgin Mills Road and turned east and was just in sight of McCowan when my back tire began to wobble. I couldn't believe it! I got a flat tire this close to home. I was so pissed. I had been riding for 3 hours and 17 minutes and had less than 10 minutes to go.

Recalling my previous problems of blowing up inner tubes, this could get ugly. At least this wasn't during a race or pouring rain. Pulling out my kit, I noticed the two tubes I bought were slightly smaller than the one I was using. Oh oh, this could be a problem. I changed the tire and proceeded to blow it up using the CO2 cartilage. I disconnected it and BANG!! There goes that inner tube. Swearing profusely, I changed the tire and put the second tube on but clearly the inner tube was not inside the tire all the way as a giant bubble appeared but before I could stop it blew. There goes the second inner tube.

I called home and Tammy came to pick me up. As punishment for being a retard and not being able to change a flat tire, I ran a hard and hilly 5 km.

So close to the 100 km ride but so far away. I ended up at 93.7 km. DOH



No comments:

Post a Comment