Ironman Mont Tremblant

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Riding Season Ain't Over Just Yet

Over the several weeks, the temperature dipped down to the minus 20s with the wind chill or the winds were howling at +20 km\hr but today's temperature warmed up to a balmy - 2 degrees Celsius and the winds died down enough to go riding outside.  I can't remember the last time I rode outside but it was probably in November.  In these parts of the world, we haven't had much snow while the US and Europe have been absolutely pounded.  In fact there is barely enough snow to cover the grass so that means the roads are free of snow so I layered up and headed out.

It felt great to be riding outside and my original plan was to put in a solid 80 minute bike ride but I quickly realized how badly I was out of shape and my "hammer time" turned into poking along.  Although I had ridden the route hundreds of time, I found even the smallest hill forced me to slip into the smaller chain ring.

At one intersection I stopped and waited for the lights but when I started to pedal hard, my rear wheel locked up as I was in the middle of the intersection.  It turns out that I hadn't tightened the fly nut enough and the tire slipped out.  That would have been a serious problem whipping down a hill.

Because of the wet road conditions, I came down Warden Ave which has a less steeper hill than Kennedy Road (which I usually hammer down seeing if I can get above 65 km\hr).  As I returned home, I started to run out of energy but I had a GU package in my bento box and tried to scarf it down.  It wasn't easy as it was half frozen just like my water bottle which I filled with "hot" water before I left.  Next time, I'll have to use boiling hot water

A much more enjoyable 80 minutes on the bike than riding inside.  Perhaps I'll be able to go out a few more times as Saturday is supposed to be eight degrees Celsius!!

My  bike needs cleaning after riding 40 km

1 comment:

  1. W00T! way to get out there!! I love to mountain bike in this weather but to do road is a whole other story. That wind goes right through you!

    Toe warmers from MEC work wonders! Put them on the top of your foot though, not bottom.

    I think I'll stick to the mountain bike. Although this weekend does look road worthy. I just dont feel like swapping pedals to my road bike. The tri bike is clean and permanently fixed to the trainer. I'm not cleaning it again lol

    ReplyDelete