Ironman Mont Tremblant

Monday, December 5, 2011

Now That's Got To Suck!

TOKYO—An outing of luxury sportscar enthusiasts in Japan ended in an expensive freeway pileup — smashing a stunning eight Ferraris, a Lamborghini and two Mercedes likely worth more than $1 million together.

Police say they believe the accident Sunday was touched off when the driver of one of the Ferraris tried to change lanes and hit the median barrier. He spun across the freeway, and the other cars collided while trying to avoid hitting his car.
Even a used Ferrari in Japan can fetch $100,000 or more, meaning the total damage may be $1 million or more.
Police declined to comment on the total amount of damage, but said some of the vehicles were beyond repair.

NTV quoted the driver of one of the tow trucks brought in to clear the scene as saying it was the most expensive crash site he had ever seen.
No one was seriously injured, but police in Yamaguchi prefecture said 10 people were treated for bruises and cuts. Police say 14 cars were involved altogether.
The luxury cars were all in one place because they were being driven by a group of automobile enthusiasts on their way to nearby Hiroshima.






On the training front, I rode on the trainer for two hours on Saturday.  In a word....UGH!  I began to bonk around the 1:30 mark and took a quick pee break but mentally it was tough.  One trick I did learn from reading Jordon Rapp's blog, is to count to 300 and then start over again and again.  That keeps the mental focus on the counting and not looking at the watch every 35 seconds wondering how I am going to finish the workout.

On the running front, I ran twice last week and my foot seemed ok.  The Planter fasciitis doesn't seem as bad as I've been strengthening and stretching my calves.  I admit that over the last several months, I haven't been stretching my calves after each workout.  No doubt, this is payback. I use a small wooden roller for the bottom and both sides of my feet.  Holy crap, did it ever hurt when I first started rolling but now its not too bad.  No John P, I didn't pay for this roller.  Someone gave it to me for free.



On the coaching front, I was supposed to meet with another triathlon coach who came highly recommended from a friend.  We exchanged emails and she wanted the usual info goals, expectation, experience etc.  She also wanted to know my race results from 2010 (I presumed she meant 2011).  Seriously, how hard is it to look up somebody's results by going to Sportstats?  Hmmm, that started me wondering but we were supposed to meet on Thursday at 3 pm but did not set a place.  I emailed her early Thursday morning but didn't hear back from her.  This is the second time I've sent a triathlon coach an email requesting a meeting and the second time I've received no response.  Maybe they a) looked up my results and decided I'm useless as an athlete and didn't want to coach me, b) don' t read emails although this last coach was sending emails from her iphone c) aren't looking to take on new athletes or d) not familiar with customer service.  Just like my last coach

1 comment:

  1. Wow - that peice of wood must cost a bloody fortune! I'm guessing a good $80 given today's foam:wood cost ratio.

    If you're not paying at least $400 / month then they are likely not going to give you a real coaching program. At least nothing you can't just get for free yourself.

    Take a look at NRG PT. That is who I would likely go with if I decided to piss away my money :) If I get within 1hr of qualifying then I would get a coach to get me the rest of the way. Until then, the finish line can be done with surprisingly very little. Just need a strong mind.

    I love the car crash - those poor cars are finally put out of their misery. Most exotic sports car owners never bring the car to the track. Auto-cruelty. The owners were likely not worthy to drive such a machine.

    ReplyDelete