Ironman Mont Tremblant

Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday Round Up - Recovery Week

This is the second recovery week since I've started my "formal" training in mid January.  Looking back on the last two months, I think its gone ok.  One of my biggest complaints about ex-coach was the zero feedback.  This time last year, I did one-legged drills and out-of the-saddles drills.  I didn't (still don't) like the one legged drills but didn't mind the out-of the-saddles drills.  I did ZERO interval drills on the bike over the last couple of winters.  This year (so far), almost every workout has interval drills.  Some of them are easy and others are tough.  I like the tough ones where I'm dying to finish the set and my heart rate is zone 5.  Coach told me to back off once I've hit zone 5 but a couple of times I've ignored it and pushed to see how long I could last.  Those are the sessions where I've all but collapsed at the end.  Those are great sessions and I think I need more of them.

Random Observations So Far:
1.  I think I'm getting stronger on the bike but then my bike sucks so much I have no where to go but up
2.  New coach has been great in providing feedback by letting me know when I've had a great workout
3.  I think I need to work on the glute/hamstring strengthening as sometimes I feel my right hamstring go "dead" after 40 minutes.  Sundays are usually my "heavy" leg work out day but I need to add another.  I'm currently working out twice a week but the schedules calls for three workouts per week.
4.  I just sold my Around The Bay bib yesterday.  Its amazing that this is the fourth time I've signed up but only ran it once
5.  I'm slowly beginning to rebuild my run.  A couple of weeks ago I ran a 5:17 min\km off a two hour bike but last Saturday's run was a lot slower as I had a 2.5 hour ride and a 40 minute run.  Also, running into a 50 km/hr headwind really slowed me down
6.  I need to decide about going up to Mont Tremblant in June.  Should I do the NRG training camp but will know no one or should I sign up for Tremblant 70.3 which is sold out and I'll have to sign up for the charity foundation slot.  The tax deduction is useless as its only good for Americans (even though the race is in Canada).  At least I'll know several people racing but will have to lug my family up which won't be cheap.
7.  The heart rate strap for my Power Tap died.  Hopefully I'll be able to get a new one at one of the local bike shops.  According to ex-coach, it was less than a year old so by this time, it should only be just over two years old....and it died already.  Hmmm
8.  I think I'll add a third swim session once ice hockey ends in April.  There is a local community center about 5 minutes away and its where I first started swimming back in the fall of 2008.  I can go on my lunch break and if I can pound out 3,000 meters it will help my overall swim fitness.  I've yet to swim more than 3,500 meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment